Saturday, October 31, 2015

31 Days of Halloween: The Big Day

Here we are.

I've somehow managed to make thirty-one different posts about Halloween, horror, the supernatural, and related subjects.

But now I want to tell you about my personal thoughts about Halloween. It's my favorite time of the year. Not because it's got a somewhat morbid reputation (it does), and I've got a somewhat morbid personality (I do). Not because it's the time of year when the veil between the worlds is thinnest and the dead come to haunt the living (in my religion, that comes in late December, around Yule - think "A Christmas Carol" with its ghosts).

I love this time of year because it's a time of year when you can really indulge yourself. Not just physically, gorging on candy (although I certainly will do so), but those impulse that are frowned upon during the rest of the year can be explored. Want to dress up like a sexy witch? Nobody will bat an eye. Want to festoon skulls, demons, and zombies around your house? You might win a neighborhood contest. Want an excuse to have a house full of people get drunk in costume? That's practically a given. There's merriment, and good-natured frights, and nostalgia from childhood memories of trick-or-treat. It's like Christmas, without the pressure of gift-giving.

So, my friends, have a wonderful holiday. And with that, I leave you with this precious little earwig. Happy Halloween. Muahahaha...

No comments:

Post a Comment